10 December 2023

Chris Chibnall, Hold My Beer (Review: 'Doctor Who', "The Giggle")

  • Stooky Bill really existed; I believe he might be in the Science Museum's collection now.
  • The current version of the opening theme is a great one and I hope it sticks around for a while.
  • I've only seen the surviving episode of "The Celestial Toymaker" - it's not got a great reputation in the fanbase. I will probably check out the animated version though.
  • I guess that means "The Nightmare Fair" isn't at all canon, but it's not like this show has ever had a firm canon policy for extra-televisual works.
  • When the Doctor tells a companion to go back to the TARDIS, you know that the situation is a serious one.
  • Great job from David Tennant and Catherine Tate as usual.
  • Neil Patrick Harris makes for a great villain; we might not have seen the last of him, but let's not bring the Toymaker back too quickly.
  • Wasn't expecting that long a call back to the Steven Moffat era, that's for sure.
  • RTD also allows those who didn't like the Chibnall era a good get-out that can explain it away.
  • Very good to see Mel back. Not to mention Kate Stewart and Shirley. I wouldn't be surprised if they all turn up in a spin-off as we know Bad Wolf have created a LLC for one.
  • This probably could have done with being about ten minutes longer.
  • UNIT has really stopped the secrecy, that's for sure.
  • Well, I can't say I saw that coming. [spoiler indeed]
  • Where's your trousers?
  • The Christmas Special looks to be a lot of fun.
Conclusion

RTD has decided that the Timeless Child was something to one-up and gave us this ending. Fortunately, unlike Chris Chibnall, he's got the writing skills to make it work.

9/10


No comments: