- Stooky Bill really existed; I believe he might be in the Science Museum's collection now.
- The current version of the opening theme is a great one and I hope it sticks around for a while.
- I've only seen the surviving episode of "The Celestial Toymaker" - it's not got a great reputation in the fanbase. I will probably check out the animated version though.
- I guess that means "The Nightmare Fair" isn't at all canon, but it's not like this show has ever had a firm canon policy for extra-televisual works.
- When the Doctor tells a companion to go back to the TARDIS, you know that the situation is a serious one.
- Great job from David Tennant and Catherine Tate as usual.
- Neil Patrick Harris makes for a great villain; we might not have seen the last of him, but let's not bring the Toymaker back too quickly.
- Wasn't expecting that long a call back to the Steven Moffat era, that's for sure.
- RTD also allows those who didn't like the Chibnall era a good get-out that can explain it away.
- Very good to see Mel back. Not to mention Kate Stewart and Shirley. I wouldn't be surprised if they all turn up in a spin-off as we know Bad Wolf have created a LLC for one.
- This probably could have done with being about ten minutes longer.
- UNIT has really stopped the secrecy, that's for sure.
- Well, I can't say I saw that coming. [spoiler indeed]
- Where's your trousers?
- The Christmas Special looks to be a lot of fun.
Conclusion
RTD has decided that the Timeless Child was something to one-up and gave us this ending. Fortunately, unlike Chris Chibnall, he's got the writing skills to make it work.
9/10
1 comment:
With the totality of the RTD2 era now behind us and the slapdash, cynical execution of both series finales, I can’t help but feel bigeneration was a bad idea. Why overcomplicate the episode with it if there wasn’t a long term plan involved beyond parking the 14th Doctor and Donna? Not only does it lessen the impact of 10's "I don't want to go" but it really does cheapen the beautiful bittersweet concept of regeneration. The whole point of regeneration is that its a kind of death - in the words of the 10th Doctor "some brand new man goes sauntering away and I'm dead". And suddenly, Tennant's face (10 and 14 still count as the same face, even when older) is allowed to live on, perhaps become the curator? The whole melancholy of the moment is defeated if hes just still there and fine and suddenly theres two of them? Is RTD saying that every other Doctor, including Tom Baker's 4 is less than the 10/14th Doctor? Also the 14th Doctor retiring and getting a happy ending is just a bit contrived; it goes against the themes of the First RTD Era, that the Doctor is a tortured soul, living eternally in some way. "i have to live on, thats the curse of the timelords". Sure he can take a pause but he doesnt get to settle down, he doesnt get to play happy families, he's said it himself "I could never have a life like that"
Post a Comment