19 June 2017
17 June 2017
Rona Munro, who wrote the final story of the original run back in 1989 has been away from this show for far too long – her return is a triumph with a great story, a brilliantly realised creature and lots of great gags.
This is also the first story of the 12th Doctor's era to be set in Peter Capaldi's native Scotland and it works really well.
16 June 2017
10 June 2017
A fuller post on this will follow, pending post-poll studies of the actual demographics that turned out. However, some quick thoughts:
- The Conservatives remain in power to all intents and purposes. May got the highest vote share for them since Margaret Thatcher, despite leading a highly inept campaign. It is clear, however, she is not suited to the role of PM and should probably step aside for someone more competent at the top job.
- Labour did much better than expected, but whether this was down to Corbyn or despite him remains to be studied. He has taken Labour a good deal of the way there, but he may not be the person to take them back into power.
- The Lib Dems are irrelevant now. Nick Clegg's decision to go for full coalition instead of confidence and supply has cost his party dear; he has now paid with his own seat.
- The SNP are badly battered but still there – the next Scottish Parliament elections will be very interesting.
- The DUP... well, we're all going to be paying a lot more attention to Northern Ireland now, that's for sure.
Got to say that I didn't enjoy that one at all. Looked great, but the guest characters were all very broad stereotypes, the plot twists were silly (dropping one big one without warning suggested something important got lost in the edit) and the new Ice Warriors weapon seems like an excuse for the effects people to show off..
Also, that was one of the most out of left field reappearances by a character I've ever seen. I didn't even know that voice actor was still alive...