18 June 2022

Stranger Things 4 Volume 1

So, just a warning, this post contains spoilers. Although I'll give you a paragraph or two before I actually launch into them.

I didn't actually join Netflix for Stranger Things back in 2016; I came in 2017 for Star Trek: Discovery, which is no longer carried by that platform in the UK and also Mystery Science Theater 3000, which was cancelled there, now operating on its own streaming service.

I don't actually remember when I watched the previous seasons and since I generally don't note TV shows I've watched in my diary (although films I do), I can't really check.

But it's simply put a brilliant show and the latest season has knocked it out of the park...

Spoilers start here

With a spiked baseball bat, which isn't a weapon actually used by Steve "The Hair" Harrington in this series.

The show has a superb atmosphere, storylines with some real depth to them, great production design and - most importantly - a host of characters you will grow to love, played brilliantly by a talented cast. My personal favourite is Robin, but Nancy is handy to have in a fight.

The scene that everyone is talking about is the conclusion of episode 4 - "Dear Billy":

"Girl saved from demon by Kate Bush song" is a concept that when you type it on the screen, but it absolutely works here thanks for a masterful combination of all departments. I came into the second half of this episode (having watched the first part bit on my commute) seriously concerned for Max and fully prepared to write a Facebook post bemoaning her death. The tension is kept going right throughout, with the four-second cut to black a genius stroke in the edit suite, as that's usually when the credits start. It's frankly up there with Doctor Who regeneration scenes in being that good.

Looking forward to Volume 2 and hoping none of the main characters die. They're all loveable.

No comments: