28 August 2021

London Loop

Hello to Diamond Geezer if he is reading this. I like your blog.

****

I got into the habit of long walks during lockdown because I had to do something to keep myself from going crazy and more recently, as restrictions have eased and I could get a train back, I have started to head further afield. Now I am starting on a goal to walk the entirety of the London Loop, the 150-mile orbital footpath around the capital city. It's apparently "the M25 for walkers", but the M25 is nowhere near as overgrown in places or taking you through areas that seem to just waiting for the zombies to turn up.

So far, I have done:

  • Section 22: Harold Wood to Upminster Bridge. I did this in reverse direction. This bit is awfully signposted and I added a good mile to my walk because I got lost midway through.
  • Section 23: Upminster Bridge to Rainham. Walking through the site of the old RAF Hornchurch, this is by far the most accessible bit I have been so far and is pictured above.
  • Section 24: Rainham to Purfleet. Seriously overgrown in places; I got cuts on my arms from brambles - you'd be insane to wear shorts doing these walks. There are an array of 'comedy pirate graves' along the river. Someone has clearly put a lot of effort into everything except the puns.
  • Section 1: Erith to Bexley. The path doesn't go the whole way round of course; there's a river in the way and you can't walk across the Queen Elizabeth II Bridge. At 8.7 miles including the connections to the stations at either end, it's something best done in two stages with a break for lunch in Crayford.
I'll post some photos from Section 1 below. Along with a video of a Class 465 Networker leaving Erith.








No comments: