1. Not one of CE's best in my opinion. His flying over to take a look at the alien was interesting, he had some good lines, I liked his resumption of command. No real gems of brilliance though.
2. Billie Piper didn't really have much to do in this episode. What she had she did well, but this was really CE's episode. Nice to see a portrayal of the effects of time travel on those who are left behind.
3. A joy to see the return in some form of UNIT. Pity we didn't have a distinct UNIT character like the "old days", but nice to hear them mentioned. My thoughts about their whole involvement will probably go elsewhere.
4. The Slitheen- who thought City of Death here? I did. They looked almost cute in the pictures, but they're pretty evil and quite effective. The wind gags weren't as bad as they could have been.
5. The pig was done surpisingly well, considering it's a walking pig. You did feel sorry when one of the soldiers went "Five Rounds Rapid" on it.
6. "Harriet Jones, MP Flydale North". Somewhat of a cardboard character here.
7. I've got to say that the plot was pretty well written. Using the crash landing to lure UNIT's top people into a trap- simple but effective.
8. Jackie Tyler is starting to irritate me.
9. There was a good cliffhanger here. They then had to go and ruin it with "The next time". There shouldn't be one for these sort of endings.
The word I would use to describe this episode is 'competent'. I have no strong feelings either way on this episode. Nothing brilliant, but nothing awful. Hopefully, the second part will do better.