The NEC, for those of you not in the know is Labour's main decision making body. It's made up of (and I quote):
- The leader (Blair)
- The deputy leader (Prescott for the time being...)
- 12 TU members
- 6 constituency party members (the ones I get to vote for)
- 3 government ministers
- 3 MPs or MEPs
- 2 Councillors
- 1 Young Labour Representative
- 1 "representative of the socialist societies"
- The leader of the European Parliament Labour Party (I don't know who that is).
So who's running for the NEC. Notable names are:
- Lorna Fitzsimmons- former MP for Rochdale until the students there voted her out.
- Helen Jackson: Former MP for Sheffield Hillsborough.
- Walter Wolfgang- yes, that Walter Wolfgang. The one who got thrown out of the Labour Conference for heckling and got us accused of being fascists.
There seem to be two distinct blocs:
- The Grassroots Alliance (Wolfgang and his crew- noticeably anti-Iraq war)
- The leadership's preferred candidates. I voted for most of these.
You can vote until 31 July.